October is National Disabilities Employment Awareness Month, and the PCRC is hosting a webinar focusing on job searching and employment for individuals with disabilities & special needs.
Learning Objectives / Topics to cover:
1. How can individuals identify their abilities and special needs, and find jobs that are accessible and relevant to their unique abilities?
2. What are accommodations and why are they important? What about other terms & definitions (learning disability, accessibility, special needs, learning support, etc.)
3. What are examples of accommodations that a job candidate may need during the application & interview process?
4. How can an employee request accommodations that they may need in their day-to-day role?
5. What are some relevant organizations (such as OVR) and resources to help a job seeker and employee with special needs?
6. Where should an individual with special needs seek help if they have been discriminated against as a job seeker or employee (information on how to report an incident).
Host: Bethany Taylor Special Guests: Michael Sroka (Office of Vocational Rehabilitation) and Amanda Avampato (Disability Services – Point Park)
Links for assistance:
If you are interested in receiving academic accommodations and learning more about what is available to you, you can also read about and complete the information found on this website:
Links to Disability Resources (pa.gov)
Assistive Technology (pa.gov)
Vocational Rehabilitation Home (pa.gov)
OVR Office Directory (pa.gov)
JAN – Job Accommodation Network (askjan.org).
Pittsburgh | Dress for Success Pittsburgh
Home – PA 2-1-1 Southwest, powered by United Way (pa211sw.org)
Home | ahedd
Home | U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (eeoc.gov)
Welcome to PHRC! (pa.gov)
DON Services – New Castle, PA (doninc.org)
PA CareerLink – WELCOME TO PA CAREERLINK
National Career Development Association (information located under the “Special Populations” sub-heading): https://www.ncda.org/aws/NCDA/pt/sp/resources
PA 211’s Disability-related resources: https://www.pa211.org/get-help/disability-services/